Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hibiscus Heaven continues, and Aloe Arborescens next in line.

Since I am now hooked on Hibiscus blooms, I could not help but notice these beautiful specimens at my Mom's Retirement Centre.














I could not ignore the delicate blooms on the Potato Bush......just love the colour.





And then there is the beautiful Variegated version as well....... so attractive.

The beauty of a large and interesting garden is that one is forever discovering new surprises. This morning I suddenly realised that it is Aloe time again.....my Aloe Arborescens, or Krantz Aloe,  has loads of new spikes on it. Still all tightly wrapped up, I will document their progress as they open up and expose their bright orange heads. The succulent leaves are tough and fleshy, but have such interesting texture and shape. The conical formation of the leaves is also fascinating..... hence the common name, Krantz Aloe.








Another delcate bloom found in my garden belongs to an Indigenous bush, the Marshmallow ....... the gum from the plant was used in making marshmallows, hence the name. The flowers are perfect for garnishing  and I used them very successfully on a wedding cake many years ago.






The leaves are large, but delicate with wonderful fine detail on them.

And to end, the interesting cloud formation captured last night. 



Next time, I will pop back into the kitchen with some Winter warming soup recipes to inspire you!
Keep on discovering new delights in your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment