Saturday, March 29, 2014

Earth Hour 2014.

So, what are you going to do to honour the Earth tonight between 8.30 pm and 9.30 pm? Follow earth hour on www.earthhour.org.za


Here in Cape Town we are proud to be the Global Earth Hour Capital of the World!!! Well done Cape Town.  
We all need to take more time out of our routine to enjoy the local towns, and wildlife on our doorstep. We have our own world waiting for us.......
Take time out to relax and enjoy our national heritage...... and the nature that surrounds us.


We can and will show the world how we are striving for sustainability. 
We have such a beautiful city to look after and share with the world....we need to be wise with our limited resources.
 
Our magical mountain as seen from Milnerton Beach.
Happy memories of being able to walk on the beach......I hear the words of the song, "Picking up pebbles and throwing them into the sea " in my mind! What can I say...... only happy memories of  being able to walk on the beach.
Cape Town welcomed STS Lord Nelson from the Jubilee Sailing Trust with open and windy arms! Follow then on www.jubileesailingtrust.com

I believe that it is not only about one hour of darkness tonight, but a 365 day commitment to the earth.
We each need to commit to be green and earth- friendly each and every day.
Create your own 'signature' to describe what it is that you do each and every day to live the green and eco - friendly way.
 
Grow your own herbs.
Create a Potager and cultivate your own herbs, vegetables and fruit. You will discover some magic by working with the earth.

My list would start like this:

I reduce clutter and donate to charities and Flea markets.
I recycle everything possible: paper, plastic, glass, metal, batteries .....
I make compost from all organic matter, vegetable peels and cuttings, garden cuttings, leaves, twigs, tissues, shredded waste paper and so on...... I save seeds to cultivate and propogate new plants.
I am a Locavore and shop locally and support local markets.
I grow my own herbs, vegetables and salad ingredients.
I cook, craft and create my own gifts!
My garden loves birds, bugs and bees.....
I switch off lights and electrical appliances when not in use.
I hang out my washing in the sun and prefer not to use the tumble dryer.
I use natural products for cleaning.
I re- use gift wrap, cellophane and packaging items, ribbon, elastic bands etc...
I love to knit and feel the texture of wool between my fingers.....
I re- use all shopping and carrier bags...better still, I make my own! 
I repair old clothes and create new designs and gifts.
I use sample fabrics to create bags and wrap gifts....
......and so the endless list continues......


I was impressed to note a new trend in Europe recently. Ardent fashion shoppers are avoiding the high streets and are staying away from glitsy carrier bags in exchange for local charity shops and flea markets. Better still, the trend is to create one's own clothing.....how wonderful, I love and live for this kind of creativity. Go Girls!  
The best we can do is to teach the younger generation to be creative and to live this life. It must be a natural footprint for all of us. 


Beading classes in the cosy kitchen in Lods, France with Otilia last year.



Sunday afternoon Flea Market shopping in rural France.....  a must for any shopaholic!
Here is a wonderful project  I experienced in Lausanne, Switzerland last year. In a  creative way , old and  used electronic and mechanical waste was collected and exhibited in a green and creative way in the most spectacular setting along the lake.
Old motorcycles, television sets, computer monitors and so on were integrated into the garden design in a public setting to bring about awareness of recycling.
This has to be one of my favourite settings in the world!
 
What a tranquil setting along the lake in Lausanne. Pristine, clean, eco - friendly, dog friendly and wheelchair friendly!

Recycled and revitalised to create a statement along the walkway in Lausanne.
Who would have thought old TV sets and computer monitors could be used in this creative way ?
A new kind of Art in the Park?
Love this world, live a green and eco - friendly life, today and ALWAYS!

Make the earth smile with us.........

Don't hurry
Don't worry.
You're only here
for a short visit.
So be sure to stop
and smell the flowers.
"Walter Hagen."
Otilia showing us how to relax, unwind and enjoy nature.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment