Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Something Pink?

Why not? Every young girl loves pink.....I was one of them and had a pink bedroom at some stage. These days my fascination is more with bright, bold and vibrant cerise pink than baby pink.

When it comes to minerals I am sure you are expecting me to introduce Rose Quartz...... not so, I have a new and more exciting mineral to introduce.... Rhodochrosite.

Rhodochrosite is a mineral of manganese carbonate and is found in manganese ore veins. As seen above, it is generally light to dark pink with white stripes and veins.

Together with Rose Quartz, the combination works well.
Rhodochrosite is known as the stone of love and balance and is also thought to awaken a need to give and receive tenderness and love.
 It also promotes creativity and helps one to accept and integrate new ideas and information.

In the pink and all soft and feminine, Rhodochrosite has also been used to heal the heart....both emotionally and physically. It is said to heal old wounds and to stabilise the heart and pulse rate.

While I am thinking of pink and white striped Rhodochrosite, I have a clear image in my mind....related to food that is. It is of soft, sweet, stewed Guava's served with lashings of chantilly cream.... Can you see this image? mmmmmmm........

Well, the closest image I have at present is this baked Guava tart. Can you see the pink and white of the Rhodochrosite in this image? 

Light and dark pink, I have chosen to pair simple Hibiscus flowers with the delicate colours of the Rhodochrosite gem. 

Dreaming of summer entertaining...... here is a great idea for outdoor decoration. Simply float hibiscus flowers and floating candles in a bath of water.

The ultimate partner for Rhodochrosite has to be my all time favourite,  Turkish Delight Bougainvillea. A variegated variety, it has both pink and white flowers on the same bush. The other more descriptive name is Coconut Ice.....really a fitting partner for Rhodochrosite.

I have another passion..... that is making decorations from old buttons. Here at Easter time I created these button eggs to hang on the Easter tree. The light and dark pink coloured buttons pair well with the colours of Rhodochrosite.

I cannot help but leave you with the image of sushi in your mind...... think of  salmon roses as a partner to Rhodochrosite. In the above photo I am joined by friends who supported a fundraiser  arranged for the Western Cape Rehab Centre. 

A platter of homemade Sushi. It was a fun experience........ Looking at the salmon next to the sushi rice, I can once again see the colours of Rhodochrosite....Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment