Saturday, October 22, 2011

OOOOPS....I missed it. Yesterday was APPLE day.

How could I not salute this humble, versatile fruit ? We all grew up being told that an apple a day keeps the Doctor away..... and so we obliged and ate our apple for school lunch. What a treat to enjoy a freshly picked, crisp and crunchy apple directly from the farm..... something every child should experience.

Apple and Cheese...... a match made in Foodie heaven. I cannot think of anything more refreshing than this contrast in textures....crisp, firm, crunchy, tart, sweet apple with soft, smooth, creamy cheese....

Some things that I love..... my garden view from the kitchen, my herbs, watching the birds drink water from their bowls.....and of course the perfect match of cheese and apple on rye bread.

The ultimate ingredient. Use apples for breakfast, for a snack, in baking, with vegetables, as a salad, in casseroles, stir- fry's, in desserts.....and many more. I vote the apple as the most versatile ingredient in the kitchen.

Ready for the oven, my all time favourite....baked apple cake. Such a simple batter, topped with fresh apples, raisins and cinnamon sugar. Once baked, serve warm with lashings of cream or greek yoghurt. The ultimate in comfort food!

The perfect gift, a tray of freshly baked apple, raisin and cinnamon muffins. A secret from Austrian friend's of mine is to always have a jar of raisins soaking in Rum...... the moist and succulent rum raisins add a wonderful dimension to the flavour experience. Try it!

Remember that apples are great with savoury dishes as well. Should you be missing an ingredient for a stir - fry, just add a chopped apple as a substitute and it will bulk up the quantity.

Oven roasted vegetables are easy and convenient to prepare for a large dinner party or braai. Here I also add apples to my vegetable mixture..... even if I am roasting butternut for a butternut soup, I will add a couple of apples. Just cannot cook without them!

Apples are the perfect picnic  partner or packed meal ..... just pick, pack and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment