Thursday, October 13, 2011

World Egg Day on Friday 14 th October 2011.

Where do all these special days come from all of a sudden? Well, at least they give us something to blog about......in this case, it inspired me to boil some eggs and use some egg-citing egg goodies hiding in my kitchen!

This special egg cup is an antique.... it was used by my Dad and his Mother....so, a bit of Jensen history in my kitchen!

Do families have time for breakfast served like this in our busy world today? We used to have boiled eggs three times a week, served with egg cosies and all..... those were the day's! 

So, how do you prefer your eggs cooked? Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, in an omelette...... we have so many options available. But the inevitable question is....how do you boil the perfect egg? Each cook has their own tip. Be it 3 minutes for a very soft egg, 4 to 5 minutes for a soft egg, or 6 to 8 minutes for a firm egg..... the choice is yours.

If you are looking for the ultimate breakfast treat in Cape Town, head off down to the Cape Grace Hotel and feast off their delightful breakfast selection. The choices are varied.... above is their Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon and the most delicious Hollandaise sauce.

Another Cape Grace treat is their Potato Rosti, truffle scented creamed mushrooms and two poached eggs...mmmmm breakfast will never be the same again!

Should your taste be for something simple, the Cape Grace has that to offer as well...... here is a fine Omelette filled with ham, cheese and fresh herbs. You also have the option of whole eggs or egg whites only... great if you need to watch your cholesterol level.

I know there are some folk who hate the eggy taste....so, fear not, you can still get your dose of eggs in other menu choices. Here my light and fluffy lemon pudding is egg based without the eggy taste! Eggs are so versatile, I do not think us Cooks will ever be bored with them! Sweet or savoury, the creative options are endless.

I know there is a classical painting by some Master Painter in the world based on this styling. It is a setting I have seen on canvas somewhere.... but I am not sure where. So with that as my inspiration.... here is my classic boiled egg and homemade marmalade on toast setting .... sadly taken in the kitchen at home and not in a studio setting! 

Finally, on a green and organic note, please remember to toss your egg shells into the compost.... the calcium content is great for your plants and I believe if you have snails you should scatter crushed egg shells where they roam. 
I wish you an egg - stra- special day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment